Saturday 31 January 2015

Opening my heart to God's kindness all around me

Earlier this week I had a day when three people were unexpectedly kind to me. Unexpected because I did not know them:

·        a doctor was very nice to me when I had to confess I’d given some medicine meant for my daughter to my son;
·        an Asda worker gave me a lower price on an item because of the deep sigh I gave when she checked the price and it wasn’t in the sale when I'd hoped it was
·        a Homebase worker sold me a box at a lower price because they didn’t have quite the one I wanted.

In each case I was surprised because I didn't expect them to be kind. (Maybe I looked harassed enough as I tried to keep an eye on where my four year old was while I waited in the queues.)

God whispered, "Why are you so surprised by kindness? This is my kindness, I've put it everywhere."

God is kind. It is his nature. God is love and love is kind.

Kindness is his fingerprints all over this world. It got me thinking of some verses that speak of His kindness (many thanks to Biblegateway.com for making it SO easy to find verses that mention kindness!)


His kindness is found in the sunrise: 

'For he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.' Matt 5:45


His kindness is found in the seasons that result in the harvests that give us our necessary food:

‘He has shown kindness by giving you rain from heaven and crops in their seasons; he provides you with plenty of food and fills your hearts with joy.’ Acts 14:7

His kindness is not dependent on my gratitude or performance. Just think about the Israelites:

 ‘When our ancestors were in Egypt, they gave no thought to your miracles; they did not remember your many kindnesses, and they rebelled by the sea, the Red Sea.’ Psalm 106:7

And when I think God can’t possibly ‘put up with’ my weakness, failure and sin any longer, I am reminded of his patience:

‘For forty years you sustained them in the wilderness; they lacked nothing, their clothes did not wear out nor did their feet become swollen.’ Nehemiah 9:21

Despite their lack of faith, turning to other gods, and repeated stubbornness, God daily provided their food, water, direction, health and clothing even during those times they were rejecting Him.

God’s kindness is found all around me, even in the kindness of those who do not acknowledge Him. 

‘Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law . . .they show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts.’ Romans 2:14-15

Echoes and glimpses of God's kindness are to be found in the hearts of all men.



God loves kindness. He loves to show kindness. He cannot stop being kind, because it is part of his character:

 ‘but let the one who boasts boast about this: that they have the understanding to know me, that I am the Lord, who exercises kindness, justice and righteousness on earth, for in these I delight,” declares the Lord.’ Jeremiah 9:24

And I realised, God loves it when we show kindness. It pleases him. It is not a little thing. It counts. It is important. It is his kingdom coming here on earth.

Sometimes I think a little act of kindness can't be 'important'.   But when I show kindness to someone it delights His heart because it's a bit of me being like my Papa. 

I can't drum up this kindness out of my own sheer effort.  It is a fruit of the Spirit (Gal 5:22) and comes out of abiding in Him (John 15:4-5).


Kindness hasn't come out of me spending my time measuring up how well (or rubbish) I'm doing. Rather as my eyes and heart have been opened to God's kindness to me, then kindness to others has welled up in my heart and just wants to spill out. I've found myself looking for and delighting in ways to show kindness, feeling the joy that I'm bringing Papa God pleasure as I do it in response to His kindness to me.

Thank you Father for your incredible kindness to me and to every son and daughter on this planet. Thank you for the joy of joining You in showing your kindness to others. Amen




No comments:

Post a Comment