Tuesday 22 December 2015

Don't stop too short

You study the Scriptures diligently because you think that in them you have eternal life. These are the very Scriptures that testify about me, yet you refuse to come to me to have life. " John 5: 39-40 

It is possible to search the Scriptures and think that life is found in them. To spend many hours in Bible reading and Bible study and to almost worship the Scriptures. But the Scriptures are there to point to Jesus. Life is found in Him. I need to come to Jesus to have life. The Scriptures are a tool to point me to him but if I come to the Scriptures and stop there, I have stopped too short.


Jesus forgive me for thinking that my righteousness or salvation is somehow linked to how well I’m keeping up with my Bible reading plan or how many chapters I’ve read on a certain day. Forgive me for dealing with the Scriptures on a purely intellectual basis. May I come to your word with a heart that is seeking You above all else.   Thank you for your promise: “You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.” Jeremiah 29:13. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment