Friday 18 December 2015

The reluctant kings

This year I had the opportunity to help with the nativity service at our church and had the role of narrator. I found an excellent resource (The No-Rehearsal Nativity by Janine Gillion) which helped me devise a script where the narrator could interact with the characters and help them know where to stand and what to do or say. Most of the children taking part were 5 and under so we couldn’t expect them to know or remember what to do so it was helpful to be able to direct them and guide them through.
Three boys were born in our church in a short time frame and now all these boys are 1 year old. I cast them as the three kings.  There were lots of laughs as the parents tried to herd their toddlers round the church to follow the star. They were oblivious to the occasion and what was expected of them and kept running off, getting distracted or just refusing to go anywhere.  It was very sweet and got a good laugh. We sang an extra chorus of the carol to give them a bit more time to complete the journey and joked about the very long way the wise men had to travel.

But then came the point where they were back at the front of church and were meant to give their gifts. So the script now mentioned giving the gift of gold. Only one king had made it back so far to the front of the church with his mum, so I asked, “Would he like to give his gift now to Jesus?” to which the mum replied, “Not really.”  Another good laugh. Very honest. Yes, this little boy had his gift and liked it and didn’t want to give it up.

Then it came to the gift of frankincense. By now we had another toddler running around the front with one of the gifts so I invited him to give it. He remained oblivious, happily running around with his little bottle and his mum repeatedly trying to get his attention and get him to come and put his gift in the manger. Again, the congregation had a good chuckle.

Finally we came to the gift of myrrh. This king had refused to put his costume on at all and, having been forced to go round the church against his will, wasn’t going to go anywhere now!  We discovered then that his dad had a gift for amateur dramatics, and with the little cloak tied around his neck and the little crown balanced on his head, the dad came and presented the final gift at the manger to roars of laughter and applause.

I wonder to what extent I can be like these toddlers but in a much more subtle way. God has given me gifts – time, health, energy, resources, talents. How willing am I to surrender them to Him?


Jesus, everything I have has come from You. And yet I so jealously hoard things as mine.  I come now and bow, laying it all at Your feet. Take my gifts and use them for Your glory. Amen.


What can I give him, poor as I am?
If I were a shepherd, I would bring a lamb;
If I were a Wise Man, I would do my part;
Yet what I can I give Him: give my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment